The Second Missionary
Baptist Church of Oceanside, California had its humble beginnings on
January 13, 1971, as a mission in the home of Deacon and Sister Robert
Moore, Sr., located on Holly Street in Oceanside, California.
The thirteen named members present were: Bro. Robert Moore, Sr., Sis.
Pearl Moore, Rev. Wendell W. Wright, Sr., Sis. Barbara C. Wright, Bro.
James D. Hunt, Sis. Ruth Gilbert, Sis. Henrietta Davis, Sis. Rosie Lee
Brown, Bro. Albert L. Wright, Bro. Robert Moore, Jr., Sis. Lynnette Moore,
Sis. Barbara A. Wright, and Bro. Lance Wright.
Immediately after organizing the mission, Deacon Moore,
Sr., secured a building at 1442 Mission Avenue in the city of Oceanside.
The congregation marched into the newly acquired location
on January 17, 1971. It was evidenced in a short time that the building was
unable to house the growing mission, and so Deacon Moore again set out to find
On February 7, 1971, he secured the location of 629 South
On March 17, 1971, in a called business meeting, the
mission voted unanimously to become an organized church, and in the same
business meeting, Rev. W. W. Wright, Sr., was called into the leadership
position as Pastor of the church.
In June 1973, the Lord blessed the church to go into
negotiations for the purchase of the building at 1007 Tremont Street. The
property owner accepted the offer on July 16, 1973, and the church occupied the
building on Tuesday, July 17, 1973.
continued to bless the church and multiplied the thirteen many times over into a vast membership.
Over the years, the church under Pastor Wright’s leadership sent forth many sons
into the ministry, with most serving in pastorship positions across the United
Additionally, God gave Pastor Wright a vision for a new building and new
location for the church. Land located at 5301 Mare Road was purchased April 25,
1985, and the deed was secured without encumbrance in August 1988. As the
congregation rallied for new expanded facilities where they could worship and
serve God, the church on Tremont Street was paid off and the mortgage was burned
God continued to smile on Second Missionary Baptist Church with the ground-breaking ceremony for the new church building on September 7, 1997. The new sanctuary was completed and the first service was held on Thanksgiving, November 26, 1998. Assistant Pastor, Rev. Charles E. Price, delivered the sermon "The Sacrifice of Thanksgiving" from Psalm 116:17.
The dedication of the building was held March 21, 1999, sermon "From Vision to Victory" Scriptures: Phil. 1:6 & Psa. 34:8 by Dr. Timothy J. Winters, Pastor of Bayview Missionary Baptist Church, San Diego, CA.
Moving into the millennium we continued to see the seasons which an awesome
God had fashioned. On May 5, 2000, in a planned business meeting of church
officers and members, it was agreed to offer the pastorship of Second Missionary
Baptist Church to Rev. Charles E. Price, Sr.
The baton was made ready and passed as Rev. Wendell W. Wright became Pastor
Emeritus and a retirement ceremony was held August 22, 2000. Additionally, the
church cornerstone was blessed and placed.
On September 17, 2000, the Installation Service of
“A Willing Servant” taken from Isaiah 6:8 installed Rev. Charles E. Price, Sr. as Pastor of the Second Missionary Baptist Church.
As a result of
Pastor Price following the Lord’s directive, Second Baptist has evolved into a
church emphasizing expository preaching and teaching through the whole council
Pastor Price encourages learning sound doctrine, Bible Study, supporting the total church
program, and to “just be faithful."
Throughout our brief but glorious history, the Lord has worked
miracles, and continues to use Second Missionary Baptist Church to expand His kingdom. Like a
servant who is given many talents, we continue to multiply and reap
dividends for the Master through the fulfillment of our mission:
"Reaching the Lost, Teaching the Saved, Reclaiming the Backslider"